Citrix Receiver slow and “Cannot connect to server”

I ran into this issue recently on Windows 7 PVS target devices.  The Citrix Receiver 4.3 would spin for a long time and finally give the error “Cannot connect to server”.  This was a newly built XenDesktop 7.6 FP3 site with Windows 7 PVS 7.6 SP1 target devices, and Storefront 3.01.  The interesting thing was this was only happening on the Windows 7 PVS devices.  From every other device, we could connect to the Store just fine using Receiver.  There was a slight improvement when we turned off the Receiver Unified Experience, but connecting to the Store and App enumeration was extremely slow.  I also tried the latest Receiver 4.4 and earlier 4.2, but got the same result.

Receivererror1

Receivererror2

 

 

I spent a significant amount of time troubleshooting this, and even opened a ticket with Citrix support.  In the end, I was troubleshooting a slow Internet browsing issue, and on a whim unchecked the Internet Explorer setting under Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings>Automatically Detect Settings.

Receiver3

 

Immediately the Citrix Receiver started working normally!  Another issue that we had been having on these Desktop VDA’s was that Outlook 2013 was super slow to load.  After making the above change, the problem with Outlook was also resolved!

After experiencing this, I googled again more specifically this time, and ran into this blog post https://davidrfigueroa.wordpress.com/2015/04/08/receiver-4-x-login-speeds/.  So obviously others have ran into this issue before.  I hope that Citrix adds a CTX article about this issue, as it was a difficult one to track down!

Advertisements

Citrix XenApp 7.6 MCS Error – “An Error Occurred While Preparing the Image”

I ran into an issue recently in a Citrix XenApp 7.6 environment, running with Machine Creation Services provisioned XenApp Servers.  The issue started after the VSphere environment was upgraded from 5.5 to 6.0.  When trying to update machines in the Machine Catalog, I received the following error:

The Machine Catalog has the following errors:

An error occurred while preparing the image.

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : UnknownError

ErrorCategory : NotSpecified

ErrorID : FailedToCreateImagePreparationVm

TaskErrorInformation : Terminated

InternalErrorMessage : Could not retrieve the network with reference [network-82] as it no longer exists.

MCS Error

The network name (Server Network) did not change during the upgrade, and I verified that it existed in VCenter.  I also ran the tests on the Hosting connection, and everything came back okay.

After contacting Citrix Support, they had me recreate the Hosting connection, Machine Catalog, and Delivery group.  As well, we removed the VDA from the Master Image, and reinstalled it.

The Support Engineer figured that there was something residual in one of the older snapshots of the Master Image that was pointing to a background network name that no longer exists in the VSphere 6.0 environment.

Just an FYI to beware of dependencies if you are going through a VSphere upgrade.  It was a pain but I’m glad to have MCS working again!